Taliban-ruled Afghanistan is once again embroiled in attacks. A suicide bomb attack on worshippers at a Shiite mosque in the Afghan city of Kunduz killed at least 100 people on Friday. Police said that many people were injured.
The bomber struck shortly after noon in front of a Shiite mosque, where hundreds of Muslims were praying. Eyewitnesses said they heard loud noises following the blast. With this massacre, corpses were scattered everywhere in the mosque. Taliban special forces arrived at the scene.
As per reports, the extremist Islamic State group has repeatedly targeted Shiites to stir up sectarian violence in Sunni-majority Afghanistan.
Matiullah Rohani, director of culture and information in Kunduz for Afghanistan’s new Taliban government, confirmed to AFP that the deadly incident was a suicide attack. He said the incident was being investigated. No terrorist organization has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.
International reports indicate that Islamic State gang attacks have been on the rise in Afghanistan since the Taliban took over. There have been several instances in the past where Shiites have been attacked by Islamic State militants on several occasions.