In a tragic incident, as many as 11 people including two children were electrocuted to death, while several others were injured during a temple festival at Kalimedu town in Tamil Nadu’s Thanjavur district.
As per reports, an electric wire got intertwined with the temple chariot while it was being pulled by devotees. The 94th Appar Gurupoojai was celebrated on April 26 and there was a gigantic crowd from nearby areas.
Devotees taking part in the event were pulling the chariot through the streets and this is when an electric wire got entangled in the chariot. This resulted in the instant electrocution of 11 people, including 2 children. All of them died on the spot. The injured have been admitted to the Thanjavur Medical College.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister MK Stalin and Prime Minister Narendra Modi condoled the incident and announced compensation for the families of the victims.